Dietary supplements are known to fill the gaps where our diet is lacking. But with so many options, picking the best and right supplement can get confusing. What kind of supplements do you need? Should you be choosing natural over synthetic? What is the difference between the two? These are the many questions that arise when it comes to dietary supplements. If you are someone dealing with these questions, then you are at the right place! Read on to find out why one needs to supplement their diet and most importantly, pointers on how to choose the right supplement for your health.
What's the deal with Dietary Supplements?
Sometimes even after doing what you thinkare the necessary measures needed to stay fit and healthy, which include meditating to reduce stress, staying active, or having only nutritious and healthy meals, you may still have low energy or other underlying health issues. This is where “Dietary Supplements” come into play. They include vitamins, herbs, fish oils, minerals like calcium, and more. They are the ones to help fill in the gaps where your diet may be lacking and give you the essential nutrients needed for your health and wellness. And although food is the best way one can attain their daily nutrient needs, it is not always easy to find or eat enough fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains or other healthy options. Therefore, dietary supplements are an ideal way to help boost your nutrients. Additionally, dietary supplements can come in handy especially for elderly people, those taking certain medicines, or those who do not have access to healthy foods due to income or their geographical location. This is where dietary supplements truly fill the gaps!
Know your Supplements
When it comes to supplements, there are two types, Natural and Synthetic, both of which have their own critics and patrons. Therefore, it is crucial you know what they are, their differences and decide for yourself which type is the right one for you and your lifestyle. And for that, you will have to learn more about natural supplements versus synthetic supplements and how they differ.
While some “scientists” often claim that synthetic supplements are ‘nature identical’, meaning they are equivalent to vitamins and minerals present in food, this is really not the case and is something that is not possible. Synthetic supplements are usually made artificially in a laboratory. They contain little to no natural ingredients, meaning the ingredients used are chemicals that are developed in a lab. The nutrients present in these supplements, which are also known as isolated nutrients, are made to replicate the chemical structure of naturally occurring nutrients. They may look, feel and taste natural but the human body may not be able to recognise and absorb them the same way it does with natural nutrients, often failing to provide the desired therapeutic effect.
Unlike synthetic, natural supplements, or sometimes known as whole food supplements, are condense and concentrated vitamins and minerals made solely from plants. They are manufactured in a lab for sterility purposes, which is theonly similarity natural supplements share with synthetic supplements. However, they are not something that is created in a lab. It is nature that does all the creation. Natural supplements are as close to nature as you can get without eating the actual plant. They allow you to ingest concentrated amounts of vitamins and minerals that are extracted from whole food sources such as fruit and vegetables. And unlike synthetic supplements, the nutrients in natural supplements are rich in bioavailability and recognizable to the human body. And since they are made using concentrated whole foods, their beneficial compounds remain intact –just as you would find them in their natural form in your diet.
Why you should go for Natural Supplements
- Starting with bioavailability, vitamins like B2 is something most people do not get enough in their diet. Natural supplements with vitamin B2 are easily absorbed by the body. On the other, Vitamin B2 found in synthetic ones are made using acetic acid, bacteria and nitrogen, which the body has a hard time absorbing and eventually excreted out as waste material. Therefore, it is wise to go for supplements that the body readily absorbs and not one that simply passed through as bodily waste.
- Additionally, synthetic supplements may be wallet-friendly but what good are they when they provide little to no healthful benefits? With dietary supplements, it is definitely the case of “you get what you pay for.” Investing in healthy natural supplements may cost more than synthetic ones but it is the incomparable quality and astounding benefits you get from natural supplements that matter at the end of the day. Plus, what better thing to invest in than your health?
- Moreover, while it is true that the diet we eat offers the required nutrients to some extent, but the chances of achieving your daily nutrient requirements solely from our diet are very unlikely. It is impossible to eat a large number of fruits and vegetables in one sitting just to be sure you get enough nutrients. Natural supplements can give you the exact same nutrition without having to eat crazy amounts of food in a more concentrated, easy to cosume manner
- Lastly, most of the supposed ‘healthy’ foods we eat have been watered down, meaning they lack the high nutrient content they used to, due to years of depleting soil resources and poisoning of lands with chemicals that have depleted the soil of its nutrients content. Therefore, taking a natural supplement rich in multivitamins and minerals is the ideal way to help supplement your diet and get the much needed nutrients your body needs.
What to look for when buying Supplements?
Did you know that the majority of the vitamins online andlocal grocery shops are synthetic? That is why it is important you know how to pick the right one when shopping for supplements. Here are some key terms we think will be found on any supplement worth taking!
- 100% Vegetarian
- Certified Herbal
- Clinically Tested
- Sugar-free, Gluten-free, Soy-free
- No GMO
Preserva Wellness Ayuvedic-based Natural Supplements
It is not surprising that our wide range of natural supplements ticks all of these boxes. And that is because all our products are made using the best and finest naturally occurring ingredients that are grown with the best of care and innovation. Inspired by the age-old wisdom of Ayurveda, each of our products holds in them the healing power and richness of nature. That said, our products- from healthy juice to potent capsules and tablets to refreshing tea blends – are certified herbal, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and 100% vegetarian. They are made free of synthetics and no artificial flavours –further increasing absorption and utilisation.
Now that you know what to look for when choosing a healthy natural supplement, the choice is clear!