Thyroid disorder and its deadly grip on the Indian population!
Thyroid disorders are known to be one of the most common endocrine disorders around the world. According to various studies and research, India too is no exception. An estimated total of 42 million people are said to be suffering from thyroid diseases. Of all the many Thyroid related diseases (including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goitre and iodine deficiency disorders, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and thyroid cancer), Hypothyroidism is the most common among the Indian population affecting 1 in every 10 adults. The prevalence of hypothyroidism in India is 11%, compared with only 2% in the UK and 4.6% in the USA. According to recent studies, North India recorded the highest cases of Hypothyroidism while the South and West zones are reported to have higher cases in Hyperthyroidism.
The thyroid gland is the small gland that is shaped like a butterfly located in front of the neck, wrapped around the windpipe extending around the side of your throat. This gland in particular releases hormones that help in maintaining bodily functions. It is when the thyroid gland does not release the right amount of hormones needed by the body, one suffers from thyroid-related diseases; the most common being hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. When the thyroid makes lower hormone than what the body requires, it is known as hypothyroidism. Fatigue, obesity, and susceptibility to cold temperature are the many effects when too little thyroid is released. On the other hand, when too much thyroid hormone is released, it is known to be hyperthyroidism. Fatigue, heart-related problems and dramatic weight loss are the results of lack of sufficient thyroid hormone in the body.
Signs and Symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
Depending on the severity of the hormone deficiency, the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism may vary. The development of such issues is usually slow, often over years and one may barely notice its early onset symptoms. But more apparent issues may develop as your metabolism continues to slow down. Here are some of the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism:
1. Unexplained weight gain
4. Proneness to Cold temperature
5. High Blood Cholesterol level
6. Heart issues
7. Dry Skin
8. Irregular Menstrual Periods
9. Thinning Hair
10. Puffy Face
Causes of Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism can occur due to several factors including autoimmune disease, radiation therapy, thyroid surgery and certain medications. Women, especially those above 60 years of age, are at a higher risk of developing hypothyroidism. Below is an in-depth description of the causes of Hypothyroidism:
1. Autoimmune disease: also known as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, this is one of the most common causes of hypothyroidism. Autoimmune disorders occur when your immune system produces antibodies that attack your own tissues often affecting the thyroid’s ability to produce hormones thus causing hypothyroidism. One may be prone to hypothyroidism if they have an autoimmune disease such as type 1 diabetes or celiac disease
2. Thyroid surgery: The removal of all or a large portion of your thyroid gland can affect hormone production.
3. Radiation therapy: Radiation for cancer treatments particularly on the neck and head can affect the thyroid gland leading to hypothyroidism.
4. Medications: Several medications can contribute to hypothyroidism. One such medication is lithium, which is used to treat certain psychiatric disorders.
5. Pregnancy: Women are at a higher risk of developing hypothyroidism especially during or post-pregnancy. The reason being women produce antibodies which attack their thyroid gland. If left untreated, this may increase the risk of miscarriage, premature delivery or pre-eclampsia affecting the developing foetus.
6. Iodine deficiency: Insufficient iodine intake may result in hypothyroidism, and too much iodine can worsen hypothyroidism in people who already have the condition.
Complications Due to Hypothyroidism
If left untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to several health issues such as developing goitre which may affect one’s appearance and may cause breathing or swallowing problems. Due to underactive thyroid which causes high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), one can develop serious heart issues or heart failure as well. Other health issues such as depression, fatigue, peripheral nerve damage, myxedema (intolerance to cold temperature), drowsiness, infertility, and birth defects which if left untreated can lead to severe physical and mental retardation of the child.
At Preserva Wellness, we believe in the power and richness of all things natural. Our Thyropro Juice is a unique concoction of health-enhancing herbs such as aloe vera, curcumin, triphala, ginger, moringa and many others which help in managing hypothyroidism. It is rich in Vitamins A, C, E, B12 and also has important minerals like calcium and magnesium. Its primary function is to help in increased secretion of hormones from the thyroid gland and to improve its functioning. Thyropro Juice is packed with all the richness and health benefits of age-old Ayurvedic herbs.
- Aloe Vera: Recent studies show the positive effects of aloe vera on Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis with a significant amount of reduction in thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibodies which are usually high in Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and are an active agent for reducing thyroid function. Aloe vera also contains minerals which are vital for thyroid protection and a healthy conversion from T4 to T3 – including zinc, chromium, copper, selenium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and sodium.
- Kanchanar is an effective ayurvedic formulation used since the olden days to treat hypothyroidism and manage the secretion of thyroid hormones. It helps in improving the condition of the thyroid gland by regulating its function. The swelling caused by goitre can also be improved with the help of this formulation.
- Triphala: Triphala provides natural antioxidants that can heal thyroid damage and prevent any complications or issues regarding the thyroid gland. Triphala also helps in maintaining proper metabolism and is of great significance with weight loss.
- Ginger: The compounds in ginger prevents proinflammatory cytokines, which are linked with autoimmune conditions, commonly found in hypothyroidism. Thus, ginger is a significant source of reducing inflammation of the thyroid gland. It also helps in weight loss as it increases the level thermogenesis and lipolysis while suppressing lipogenesis and prevents unnecessary intestinal fat absorption.
- Black pepper is known to be an effective antioxidant and antimicrobial compound as it helps in reducing inflammation, lowering of blood cholesterol, and improves digestion. It also helps in addressing thyroiditis and in stimulating metabolism.
- Varuna is a well-known immuno-modulatory drug in Ayurveda as it possesses anti-tumour activity which makes it helpful in extra growth of thyroid. Varuna also helps in managing goitre.
- Moringa contains proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Its antioxidant properties help in the prevention of cell damage which is effective for any thyroid gland damage as well. Moringa also helps in decreasing inflammation and pain.
- Salai guggul helps to fight high cholesterol when there is a drop in thyroid hormones. It is also a great agent in boosting metabolism and maintaining weight.
- Curcumin: The many properties of curcumin such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties can have a positive influence on the thyroid gland’s environment. It is also evident through studies that curcumin helps in reducing goitrogenesis and is effective in treating benign thyroid nodules within the thyroid gland, significantly shrinking the size of thyroid nodules.
This product is the ideal supplement to help check and manage your hypothyroidism issues or any thyroid-related problems. With Thyropro Juice, we can prevent ourselves from the risk of developing lifelong health issues like hypothyroidism or manage the condition of a hypothyroidism patient. In doing so, we can cut down the alarming rate of thyroid disorder in our nation altogether!
Thyropro Juice for a pro-active life!