Ginger or Zingiber officinale belongs to the same family as turmeric and is one of the most consumed dietary condiments in the world. Mainly cultivated for its root, ginger is mostly used as a culinary ingredient for its unique aroma and distinct flavour all over the world. It is a must-have cooking ingredient in most Indian kitchens and also a popular home remedy for treating various illnesses, especially in Ayurveda for thousands of years.
Beyond its culinary uses, ginger has been one of the staple ingredients in medicine since ancient times. From reducing inflammation to relieving nausea and vomiting, ginger’s healing properties are still very much utilised even today. Ginger is known to contain numerous natural chemicals beneficial in promoting health and wellness. Modern studies have also agreed on the effectiveness of the plant in decreasing inflammation, stimulating digestion, and suppressing appetite. This is why ginger is believed to be an excellent aid in supporting weight loss. Consuming warm Ginger water or Ginger tea might just be the answer to your weight loss worries.
Ginger Tea for Weight Loss: How does it work?
Ginger contains many potent bioactive compounds; among which, ‘gingerols’ and ‘shogaols’ are considered to be the most effective and the ones responsible for weight loss. Studies have suggested that these two compounds may be beneficial in stimulating several biological activities, especially in regulating the burning and storing of fats in the body. Gingerol in particular is believed to have an anti-obesity effect by promoting quicker digestion and speedy elimination of food through the colon.
Studies have also shown that ginger’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are effective in managing obesity or overweight as it helps control the free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. In a way, ginger helps prevent cardiovascular damage and other side effects of being overweight while you work to bring your weight to a healthy number. Regular consumption of ginger tea also helps improve blood sugar control, reduce insulin resistance, which are key to weight loss. Several studies have also suggested that ginger tea or warm ginger water may have a positive effect on obesity through various mechanisms, including controlling appetite and increasing thermogenesis (heat production).
Other Benefits of Ginger Tea
Besides promoting weight loss, ginger tea also is endowed with numerous health benefits:
1. Improves Digestion
One of the most effective benefits of consuming ginger tea is that it aids with digestion by increasing absorption of food and reducing bloating after a hearty meal. It also helps ease nausea, vomiting and is an effective medicine for morning sickness. Manage your digestive issue with a refreshing cup of Daily Diagemax Tea, made with healthful ingredients including ginger and many other herbs.
2. Improves Respiratory Problems
Warm Ginger tea is also known to help relieve congestion that is linked with the common cold or other respiratory issues. Respiratory symptoms associated with allergies, common cold, bronchitis, asthma can be relieved with a warm cup of ginger tea. Our Daily Boost Tea is the perfect solution when it comes to strengthening respiratory health and boosting energy levels for an active and productive day.
3. Improves Blood Circulation
Ginger is known to be a rich source of nutrients essential for healthy blood circulation. Therefore, it is fitting that ginger tea is an ideal tea to help restore and improve blood circulation and in lowering the chance of cardiovascular problems. Moreover, ginger also helps prevent heart attacks and stroke by preventing the deposition of fat in the arteries.
4. Reduces Inflammation
The anti-inflammatory property of ginger makes ginger tea an ideal solution for treating joint and muscle problems. Besides this, ginger tea also supports a healthy gut microbiome and also reduces allergic reactions associated with inflammation.
5. Detoxifies the Body
Ginger tea when paired with lemon makes an excellent detox solution for the body. The rich compounds in both ingredients help cleanse waste build-up from the body, boost metabolism, aids digestion and protect the liver. Not only is the tea an excellent drink to detox but is also an ideal drink for healthy skin and great hair.
Preserva’s Daily Detox Tea helps in removing the build-up of harmful substances that occurs due to various metabolic activities of the body. The super delicious taste leaves you feeling uplifted and your tummy calmer. It fights allergies as well and cleanses your liver and kidneys.
Ginger Teas for Weight Loss
- Plain Ginger Tea: Simply add grated or chopped ginger into a saucepan. Let it boil for about 4-5 minutes. Strain it into a cup and enjoy it. To increase the ginger's weight loss effect, it is important to drink ginger tea at least 3 times a day along with a low-fat, sugar-free diet, and regular exercise.
- Ginger Tea with Lemon: Adding a squeeze of lemon to your ginger tea or ginger drink can help keep you hydrated, detox your system and can keep you fuller longer, possibly improving your weight loss efforts. Drinking this at least 2-3 times a day is recommended for best results.
- Ginger Tea with Turmeric: Curcumin, a bioactive compound in turmeric can help prevent fat accumulation in the body and improves the body’s ability to lose weight. The potent compound in ginger paired with turmeric’s curcumin makes it extra effective in losing weight.
Our Weight Watchers Tea is exactly what the name suggests. An ideal weight loss tea that features none other than the Curcumin itself, it also contains other potent natural herbs and spices known for their weight loss benefits.
- Ginger Tea with Green Tea: Green tea is a popular ingredient in weight loss supplements as it is known to speed your metabolism. Add ground ginger to hot green tea as a way to combine the powerful effects of both ingredients. Drink at least 1-2 cups of this tea a day, keeping in mind that green tea contains caffeine.
Side Effects of Ginger Tea
- As with most things, too much of anything can turn in to a bad thing. While generally safe when taken in moderation, negative effects such as gas, heartburn, stomach-ache, burning sensation in the mouth, flatulence and constipation may occur if taken in excessive amount.
- Also, people with gallbladder disease should refrain from consuming ginger tea as it can increase the flow of bile from the gallbladder.
- Ginger tea or ginger in general, like any other herb or supplement, may interact negatively with other medication. Thus, people with heart conditions, diabetes, and gallstones should consult with their doctor before taking ginger as a supplement.
- Ginger affects how blood thinners work in the body. It is important to consult a doctor if you are under a blood-thinning medication.
- Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use ginger or any other herbal supplements without consulting their doctors.
- Do not consume more than 4 grams of ginger in any given day in any form.
Not only is it easily accessible, ginger tea is also all-natural, delicious and healthy, with numerous health benefits. However, one should always keep in mind to not go overboard with it as it can go against your health. It is also important to remember that ginger tea alone does not address weight loss and is only effective when paired with a healthy balanced diet and regular exercise. Besides its health benefits, you can also simply sit back with a warm mug, breathe in, sip slowly, and enjoy the divine taste of Ginger Tea.