If you find yourself frequently down with a bad cold even with the slightest change in weather, maybe your immune system is to blame. Our immune system is our body’s natural defence system that protects our body against invaders, such as bacteria, viruses, parasites, even a fungus, that can potentially make us sick. That is why our immune system must be strong and well-equipped so that we remain fit and healthy and not get sick easily. Continue reading to find what a healthy and strong immunity can do to your health and overall wellness.
Strong Immunity: How does it work?
So here is how our immune system protects and prevents us from getting sick. A healthy immune system protects us by first creating a protective shield that stops the invaders, which are known as antigens, from entering the body. These protective shields include the skin that keeps out the majority of pathogens, mucus that traps pathogens, stomach acid that destroys pathogens and the enzymes in sweat and tears that help create anti-bacterial compounds. For instance, the small, itchy red bump you get on your skin following a mosquito bite is a sure sign of your immune system keeping unwanted pathogens at bay.
Besides this, if any of the antigens happen to slip past the protective shield, the immune system produces white blood cells, along with proteins and other chemicals that attack and destroy these foreign substances. These white blood cells and chemicals work their way to find the ‘antigen’ and eliminate it before it multiplies. If the immune system fails to do this at the first go, it will boost itself up, even more, to destroy the antigens as they reproduce and multiply.
What are the benefits?
As mentioned before, our immune system is our first line of defence against various kinds of infection and disease. Did you know that the immune system can recognize millions of different antigens and can produce what it needs to eradicate nearly all of them? When it is operating properly as it should, you will be better equipped to deal with the challenges your body faces. In fact, a strong and well-functioning immune system can keep health problems ranging from cancer to the common cold far away!
Here are some of the perks of having a healthy, functioning immune system:
- Detect and fight infection
- Battles foreign bodies
- Fights off pathogens
- Combats viruses and bacteria
- Provides seasonal protection
- Supports faster recovery
- Reduces tiredness
- Promotes restful sleep
What happens when you have a weak immune system?
Despite all this, our immune system can break down or fail us from time to time. And sometimes, it may make a mistake and identify a substance as being a threat when it is not, which can result in a situation like an unpleasant allergic reaction. On top of this, lifestyle also plays a significant role in the well-being of our immune system. Unhealthy habits like being sedentary, eating unhealthy foods, drinking or smoking excessively, not getting enough restful sleep, and being under chronic stress can all contribute to a weak immune system. And when this happens, you ultimately fall sick. Below are some of the signs and symptoms of a weak immune system:
- Slow-healing wounds – A healthy immune system helps send nutrient-rich blood to the injury heal. However, if your immunity is weak, the wound will not be able to quickly heal or regenerate.
- Frequent infections – When you have a weak immune system, you frequently fall prey to infections. Common colds, coughs, flu, respiratory infection, ear infection, etc are signs of a weak or compromised immune system.
- Stomach troubles – upto 70% of our immune system is located in our gut. An unhealthy gut can weaken the immune system. As a result, frequent problems such as diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence may occur.
- Constant fatigue – with weakened immunity, your energy levels also decreases. This is mainly because your body is trying to conserve energy for your immune system to help protect against infections.
So how can you strengthen your immune system?
Since lifestyle habits play such a significant role in the wellbeing of the immune system, it would be smart to adopt healthy living habits so that one has strong immunity and remain well and healthy for a lifetime. Here is what you can do:
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Exercise regularly
- Getting natural sunshine (or supplement with Vitamin D)
- Get enough restful sleep (up to 7 to 8 hours a night)
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Be positive and laugh a lot
- Practice meditation or Yoga
- Manage emotional or physical stress
- Reduce or avoid excessive alcohol or cigarette consumption
- Take immunity-boosting supplements
Natural Immunity Boosters
Natural Supplements can be a handy and easy solution when a regular diet fails to provide all the nutrients our Immune System requires. Preserva’s unique Ayurvedic-based Immunity Boosters are an excellent solution to efficiently boost the immune system, regenerate the body and protect against infection naturally. They are uniquely formulated using some of the finest and most potent ingredients, including 95% pure Curcumin extract, which is a storehouse of natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancerous, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents, along with other powerful Ayurvedic herbs that will help build up the immune system and improve overall health and wellness naturally!
The Bottom Line
We come across an innumerable amount of microbes –some potentially harmful for us –on a daily basis. If it’s not for our immune system working non-stop for us, we would fall sick to all kinds of illnesses and diseases. Our immune system, the moment it recognizes a possible threat, it works its way to protecting us so that we do not fall prey to these harmful pathogens. That is why is truly really important to have a strong immune system in order to lead a healthy and happy life. And since lifestyle habits play such a role in the health of our immune system, adopting the above-mentioned tips is an excellent way to help keep our immunity in a tip-top shape so that it is always there for us in times of need! Integrating and maintaining these measures will give you the best chance of keeping well and healthy!