Bipolar disorder is a brain disorder that leads to frequent mood swings, uncertain behaviour and activities. It is also known as manic-depressive illness. There are three types of bipolar disorders known- bipolar-I, bipolar-II and cyclothymic disorder.
People suffering from bipolar disorder can have sudden periods of happiness, sadness, fear or anxiety. While the patient might appear absolutely normal during a period of time, the next moment the behaviour seems to change. Such patients need love, care and full-time support to overcome the dreadful effects of bipolar disorder. Family and friends can play an important role in the treatment of this disorder along with medical help.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
|Less or no need of sleep||Changing thoughts at a rapid pace|
|Intense sad mood||Sudden crying without any reason|
|Restless feeling||Increase or decrease in appetite|
|Inconsistent manner of speaking||Constant feeling of hopelessness|
|Drug or alcohol abuse||Loss of interest|
- Get a physical examination done by the doctor
- Keep a daily record of moods, sleep patterns and food habits to bring a positive change
- Eat healthy food
- Join a support group
- Talk to someone about your issues
- Do not take any medication without consulting a medical practitioner
- Do not hesitate to take help from friends and family
- Do not skip the medications or leave the treatment in mid-way